Main Essay – How To Create Your Personal Statement
The Common or Coalition Application Main Essay (often referred to as the Personal Statement) is a very important part of the application process. This is your opportunity to provide the admissions staff with a window into who you are. A really good Personal Statement tends to reflect four key areas:
- Core Values – Does the essay communicate at least 4-5 of your unique core values?
- Growth – Does the essay come from an emotional or vulnerable place and demonstrate personal growth or is the essay simply recounting a story?
- Insight – Are there at least 3-5 “so what” moments that demonstrate a unique perspective about a topic or event in your life?
- Style an Execution – Do the ideas in the essay connect in a way that is logical, but not too obvious (aka boring)? Can you tell that the essay represents a series of carefully considered choices and that you spent time working on the essay over the course of several drafts?
You’re more than just your test scores. Show colleges you have a voice!
Does creating a great college essay sound difficult to do? If so, you’re not alone. A lot of students struggle with writing an effective Personal Statement. Milestone can help. If you are not currently working with a Milestone College Advisor but you would like assistance with your Personal Statement – either with feedback and editing of an essay you have already drafted or with brainstorming and working through a new essay – we have a perfect program just for you.
- Students will have an initial meeting with a Milestone Associate College Advisor to discuss content/direction
- Essays will be reviewed by advisors and professional editors to ensure each essay is on-target, polished, and reflective of the student’s authentic voice
Click below to see the essay prompts for either application:
Common Application Main Essay Prompts
Coalition Application Main Essay Prompts
Milestone Advisors can also assist with Supplemental and Scholarship Essays. Call our office to find out more.